Cataract Surgery Essentials
It has been awhile since I have had a chance to update my blog. However, I have good reason: I have been working on an audio project for my patients with cataracts. I will now share this project online through my blog (and eventually my website).
As many people with significant cataracts have, by definition, poor vision it seemed odd to me that we were handing our patients reams of paperwork describing the surgery and instructing them in writing what to do in preparation for the surgery as well as what to expect from the surgery. Clearly, pun intended, this method was inadequate for those whose vision was too limited to read even large print.
With this in mind, I’ve worked on a series of presentations to address my patients’ information needs prior to surgery without the use of written text. Please note that this presentation was created with my patients in mind.If you are a patient of mine I hope you will find this informative and you are encouraged to share it with others. However, it should be noted that these presentations are based on my professional opinion and the instructions are catered to the way I do surgery. Other cataract surgeons will have their own methods and preferences.
OK, then.Let’s get started!
The following link is just a test link to an audio version of the above transcript. Below the audio link you will find a Table of Contents to the audio segments that will be posted over the next month or so. I invite feedback so that I may improve this series over time.
Introduction to the Cataract Surgery Essentials Audio Series
Cataract Surgery Essentials:
- Introduction to the Cataract Surgery Essentials Audio Series
- How the Eye Works
- What is a Cataract?
- What are the Symptoms of a Cataract?
- What Treatments are available for Cataracts?
- Why your friend did not have her Cataract removed with a Laser
- How is a Cataract removed from the Eye?
- Risks of Surgery
- Do I have to have a lens put in the eye?
- Will I Need Glasses after Cataract Surgery?
- New Options in Cataract Surgery
- Preparation for surgery
- What You Should Experience the Day of Surgery
- Care of the Eye During the First Month After Surgery
- Can my Cataract Come Back?
How Other Eye Diseases may Affect the Outcome of Cataract Surgery
- Diabetes and Cataract Surgery
- Glaucomaand Cataract Surgery
- Macular Degenerationand Cataract Surgery
- Prostate Medicationsand Cataract Surgery
For Patients Who are Still Choosing their Cataract Surgeon
- How to Choose a Cataract Surgeon
Cataract Surgery Informed Consent
- Cataract Surgery – What You Must Know
- Cataract Surgery – Informed Consent